The meme here is to focus on books one has been intending to read for some time. Jan Sincero’s Badass Habits , published in 2020 is one that fits this category in my TBR pile. Fortunately, in January 2020’s issue of Real Simple magazine, a staff writer read the book and wrote about it, saving me the time of having to read the whole book by reading the article.
In Habits, Sincero states that a certain mindset is required to keep” updating your habits game.” She reminds us to…
…Shift focus when you start going down “pity pathway” and to consciously “think thoughts aligned with where you want to go and who you want to be.”
The book gives us several strategies to build good habits and stop bad ones.
- You will believe what you tell yourself. Talk positively! Then, repeat positive thoughts like a mantra.
- Limit time spent with people who think and/or speak negatively.
- Limit distractions.
- Commit to change, and conviction will follow.
- WRITE IT DOWN. “Write down habits you need to change, and write down those you want to establish.
- Track the results. Pause at the end of each day, and give yourself checks and x’s. Use a chart. This way, you can see your progress.
- Develop new habits for 20 minutes at a time. CHANGE TAKES TIME!
- Get up and start your day at the same time each morning. Establish a morning routine.
- Just do one thing a day towards eliminating bad habits and establishing good ones in their place. Little steps matter.
This article had insights and positive steps I could take without reading the whole book. Real Simple makes things just that–real simple!